Thursday, March 24, 2011

Music


This is my beautiful spunky Andrea at the piano!
Piano Lessons have begun! Andrea has had her first lesson and so far she loves it. I know she might get to where she hates it and wants to quite but I can be happy that the first lesson went so well.  The neat thing for me is that I have a great desire to learn. I only had a couple of years of lessons and never learned to read music...especially the left hand.  I was looking at the Friend magazine and saw a song in there and went right to the piano and started picking away at it.  It has an interesting tone to the song...a little somber sounding.  I studied the left hand and figured out how to play it very slowly but still, I figured it out and had never heard the song before.  If there is a desire there is a way! I used to think that I could never learn the piano since I didn't while I was growing up.  But its never too late to learn and cultivate new talents.  I hope to be able to play so that people could sing along.  That would be a great accomplishment. I want my home filled with good music! My niece Makenze was over last Wednesday and I looked at her sheet music she was learning on the clarinet and thought, "hey I could play this!" So together we played through her songs, me on the piano and she on her clarinet.  We laughed and had a good time!

I have a strange thing about music.  Many times certain music annoys me.  Rattles my nerves!--as my mom always said! When I'm in the car I don't like music on. While I'm home I like to listen to.....mostly...uplifting church music.  I'm quiet the dork really!  It helps to calm me and keep my sanity.  It helps me keep a good perspective. But when Wade comes home we often put on fun music to dance to.  He loves the 80's rock music. But my kids favorite song of all is "The Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash.  Its awesome. 

Today I was updating the kids journals.  Well I got half of them done. It takes me awhile. I have a little journal for each of my kids and I try to write in them once a month.  Sometimes it doesn't always get done but I have found looking back on my past entries that it is a real treasure.  I write to each of my children like a letter and tell them about what they are doing and learning.  It is so easy to forget each child's unique stages and funny things that they do.  I was looking at Lydia's and exactly a year ago today she was very sick and a couple of days later was admitted into the hospital with pneumonia.  What a scary thing that was.  How delicate this life is.  I am so grateful that this winter we have all been extremely healthy with little to no sicknesses.  I think that the journals for my kids is one of the greatest things I do.  So simple but, I'm very sentimental!
Love and Light