Sunday, March 28, 2010

I'm sitting here coughing out a lung. Its uncomfortable to cough with a pregnant belly. Not comfortable at all. It has been an awful week. My Lydia got worse and worse and after a couple of doctor visits and Wade and I getting scared of her lack of improvement.....we had to admit her to the hospital. Not fun at all. It happened Thursday. The one Thursday a month that I am in charge of the monthly Relief Society meeting. I had cooked 40 cups of rice that I handed over to the RS president along with a quick explanation of how the program was supposed to go. I was sad to miss out....but more worried about my very sick child. I went home to gather a few things before heading into the hospital. I didn't know what I would need so I didn't end up grabbing much. Andrea started crying. I kiss and hug her goodbye and tell her I'll be just up the street and that we needed to go so that Lydia would get better. I kiss Damon and Wade and the tears start coming. I didn't want to go either. "Remember I made soup yesterday that is till in the fridge", I tell them. I get in the car and the emotions settle into determination as my mothering instincts kick in to get my baby well again.



The hospital staff was waiting for us and had her pediatric room all ready. I continue to talk to Lydia about why we are here and she seems content in my words. She doesn't talk much and looks terrible. She is half asleep, and has been for days. We wheel her down to get some chest x-rays. That was a little scary for her. Then we wait and wait in the room. Finally a male nurse comes in. He was the supervisor that night over the nurses. He did an excellent job putting in her IV. I was very impressed and grateful. I asked him before he got started, "Are you really good at this?" He said, "yes." I was grateful that they planned on him doing the IV when he wasn't our nurse that night because he was the best at it. One of those things as a mother I have to watch out for. I don't want my daughter stuck more then once because of someones lack of experience and expertise! One time a nurse came in to put an IV in me and she declared that she was messy at it. I learned a lot after that!



The nurses were all nice and did their best. It is amazing at the difference in nurses. I really can tell a big difference with the older experienced nurses verses the newer nurses. It is simply a learning curve and experience level. I was trying to be patient. It is so uncomfortable for me (surprisingly from the family I grew up in) to show my frustrations in someone. To say no I do not like what you are doing. But if it has to be done I will do it--in a nice way. Luckily I didn't have to get to that point. I had a miserable night. I won't go into details but I think I only got 2 hours of sleep. The next morning we got the results of the x-rays that she had pneumonia in both lungs. It was scary. We got so many calls from my family all worried and concerned for her and letting us know that they are praying for her. I was grateful for their love and support. Lydia improved a lot in one day. The next afternoon she was smiling and sitting up coloring. It was so beautiful to see. I hadn't realized how much I missed my sweet Lydia. She hadn't colored or done anything at all for 8 days. As soon as her oxygen levels were high enough the doctor said she could go. It felt so amazing to be back together as a family. Even though it was only a couple of days it felt so long. It is good to have something like this happen once in a while to make you realize how blessed you are. Health is so important. Life is so important.



We are home now and it is a slow recovery for her. She is slowly getting an appetite and wants to be held all the time. She cries and whines and doesn't use her words much. I think we will have some behavior set backs to work out this week but I will try to remember that she went through a lot and try to be patient. The worry, stress, and tiredness finally caught up with me and I am now sick. I hope I get over it soon. Wade is suffering from sickness too. My Andrea is so helpful and has been a real trouper entertaining herself and helping out. Little Damon has been very cute and happy and always doing something sneaky to get attention or make a mess. We had a nice Sunday today. Trying to relax and recover. It was a nice surprise to have one of our home teachers bring us homemade chicken noodle soup. Yay! I was very happy. The noodles were so pretty! goodnight