Friday, March 19, 2010

A Mother's Calling

Service in the gospel is so important. It helps you to forget your problems. I was feeling so tired. So tired of cooking, not accomplishing what I want in the organization of my home, keeping up with the needs and teachings of the children, that I started feeling down. I felt like I can't do this. My day to day life feels like a never ending marathon that will have no finish line.

Then I pulled out the Ensign to prepare for my visiting teaching message. What a gold mine of support and nourishment. My life purpose was restored and I again felt hope and peace in the life I have chosen.

I feel like being a mother in the gospel is like going to war. What am I fighting for? I am fighting against the world. What the world values, the fun, easy way. But it really isn't easy in the long run. It just looks easy from the outside. I think the only easy thing is knowing that most of the world is doing it and it gives justification to lowering your standards.

In Lehi's dream of the tree of life it describes a lot of how I feel sometimes. When the righteous people are clinging to the iron rod and partake of the fruit of the tree of life there is a huge spacious building with beautiful people laughing and pointing there fingers at them. The people at the tree look down in shame and some of them leave the tree to try to join them at the spacious building. That is the world trying to tempt us to turn away from living the higher law.



I read a great little quote in the ensign yesterday, from the article: What Mothers Can Learn from the Savior.

Remember a Mother's Calling

"The Savior understood and fulfilled His role in Heavenly Father's plan. As mothers, we need to strive to do our best to fulfill the sacred obligation we have. As the Brethren have taught, we should do our best to stay home and be the strength and support for our children.
For some families, however, it may not be possible for mothers to stay at home.
President Gordon B. Hinckley said, ' There are some women...who have to work to provide for the needs of their families. To you I say, do the very best you can. I hope that if you are employed full-time you are doing it to ensure that basic needs are met and not simply to indulge a taste for an elaborate home, fancy cars, and other luxuries. The greatest job that any mother will ever do will be in nurturing, teaching, lifting, encouraging, and rearing her children in righteousness and truth. None other can adequately take her place.'"