Monday, March 22, 2010

What is it about a mother and taking care of the sick?

When I was growing up, I remember my mother taking care of me when I would get sick. She was always there to help me with any need I had. "Mom!" I would call out for her.....and she was there. The first time I got the stomach flu after being married, I thought, who takes care of the mommy when the mommy is sick? Where is my mom? My husband did the best he could bringing me bowls, trying to force feed me crackers when I didn't want to eat!! :) He has learned a lot since that first time and he does a good job. But something is different. Something about the nurturing part of takeing care of someone when they are sick that women can do easily and naturaly.



Lydia is not better today. I'm surprised. It is sad for me and I hate to see her so uncomfortable. I sit with her, stroke her arm, her back, her face. I lay by her as she watches a movie and drifts in and out of sleep. I get up and help another sweet childs needs and go back to check on her. She calls out for me and I hurry over to see what I can do. I enjoy holding my children, rocking them, and wispering I love you in their ear and that you are my special girl/boy.

What would I do without them?