Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Food for thought is CHOCOLATE!

I'm feeling the start of a cold coming on. Its not fun. I don't want to be sick. So I've been taking it easy the last two days since I have a headache and sore throat. I'm surprised to have a virus getting  my family in August. But it seems to be very light. At 2 in the afternoon I'm wanting sugar. I don't deny that I have taught my body to want sugar. I've gained a huge love for chocolate that I didn't have as a child. I liked "candy" as a kid, not chocolate. I still love my gummy bears and taffy but chocolate has become my new love of sweets. I love deserts. Part of me wants to kick the habit. But I think that would be a miserable existence for all of us. I know I'm teaching my children to crave sugar. It seems to be part of the culture that I can't get away from. We went to my moms for this huge dinner on Sunday. My mouth started watering when I saw the big plate of the most delicious monkey bread and a big pan of cinnamon rolls for us. It was evil. That kind of food is my biggest temptation! I had to be very mindful. ONE and only one cinnamon roll tonight. The next day I served the kids cinnamon rolls for breakfast and I told myself I couldn't have any until later that day. I wanted to gobble the whole thing up! I waited and waited and finally had one I don't know when and enjoyed every bite. After dinner we had them for desert after family home evening and they were gone. I was so happy they were gone! Wade bought See's candy last week. He hand picks each one. Every night for the past few nights he and I indulge after the kids go to bed. I think there are only 2 pieces left I want him to enjoy tonight. Everyday I'm thinking of what cookies or cakes I want to make for desert and stop myself. I throw candy away from one holiday just to be bombarded a couple of weeks with the next holiday--the stores have to advertise months ahead! Its ridiculous. If Wade said no more candy for awhile I would join in happily. But it has to be a unanimous decision. I'm thinking I will stop eating sugar someday because I'll feel crappy all the time.
Overall I watch what I eat. I eat what I want in moderation. And just because I'm craving sugar doesn't mean I indulge in it. Like this afternoon for example. I'm not eating sweets although my body sent a signal to my brain that said I want chocolate but really I don't. If I know I'm going to eat desert I cut back during the day and don't get too full at dinner. I think I eat pretty good. I don't buy potato chips except for camping and the left overs sit in my pantry until I finally throw them away. I only eat fries a couple times a year when I go to In and Out Burger. We have a lot of vegetables and salads with dinner. Sometimes on the weekends I will over eat a little. Meaning I get a little too full for comfort. But if I eat good all week its okay to relax a little on the weekends. I don't know why I'm talking about food. Overall I find it annoying; having to eat all the time to live.