Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Teething


I was trying to get every second of sleep I could before I was up for the day. It is past 8 and I have two kids next to me in bed trying to wait for me to get up. Andrea comes pouncing in. "Mom I just bit down on my tooth and it went the other way now! Its bleeding, I think I can pull it out!""Oh that's good," I say groggily.
"Should I?"
"uhm sure."
"Really??!"
"yeah."
She tries pulling it out and can't seem to do it.
"Will you pull it out for me?"
I'm still half asleep but am still surprised. Usually I'm begging her to let me pull it out. I guess now that this is her 5th tooth to come out she is feeling less dramatic.....and so am I.
"sure," I say with little enthusiasm.
She brings me a long piece of tissue and climbs on the bed. I keep telling her to open her mouth wider so I can get my fingers in her mouth. I wrap the tissue over the tooth and with almost no effort pull the tooth out. She jerks back after I did it bewildered that it came out since of course she couldn't feel it. The tooth was barely hanging by a thread. Her mouth is bleeding and she couldn't be more thrilled for the day. What a great start to the day for a 7 year old!-life couldn't be better. Now for the next 2 hours she keeps bouncing around from mirror to mirror looking at the place the tooth dwelled. I hear none stop about the tooth fairy and how she might write her a letter or not and about how many teeth she has lost......
She still hasn't gotten her two top front teeth. Its been at least 6 months. She now eats on the corner of her mouth and always has food on her cheek. She wasn't chewing on the other side because of the above mentioned loose tooth. She never seems to care about wiping her face. She says to Bella very thoughtfully, "I'm teething too. I don't know when I'll ever stop teething."
It is so funny and awesome. I love the character that is coming out of my teething 7 year old!
Never a dull moment!