Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My Lydia Doll

As I laid in bed last night the tears rolled down. I was thinking about the afternoon with Lydia cuddling while reading books on my bed. It was quiet while the babes took naps and Andrea at school. It's been so nice having one on one time together. She is such a sweetie with those big brown eyes. She sings and prances around the house. I'm going to miss those afternoons.
Her teacher said that Lydia didn't do well with her dibbles evaluations. It has to do with sounds and speech for reading. Her teacher recommended that Lydia start extended day so that she can be more ready for first grade. I don't want first grade to be harder for her than it will already be. School is a lot different than when I was in kindergarten. They want children to be reading by the end of the year.

She wasn't happy about the idea. But after lots of talks and me pretending to be happy and how great it will be she got a little excited.
Friday morning Wade put on his school shirt and went up to the school. He helped in Lydia's classroom. The teacher had him pull individual kids into her office and work on letter sounds.  Then he went and helped in Andrea's classroom and helped the kids pass off sight words. Andrea has been begging him for awhile to come help at her class. I think it was really good for him. Now he is more tuned in to them and their needs. He went down and picked up Lydia and ate lunch with her and Andrea at school to prepare Lydia for Monday all day kindergarten. They had a great time. He took Lydia down after lunch to her knew extended day class and met the teacher. Then he took her home. Lydia was very excited. I was so happy for my good husband to go to the school and help Lydia prepare for extended day. I love him so much! He has been so objective about the whole thing. "She needs it, she is going." Mommy is the one having the hard time!!
Friday afternoon knowing it was my last afternoon with her before extended day kindergarten started was emotional for me. It felt like tears were in my throat......
I was sad.
Two of her little friends who are twins came by and gave her a little purse her mom made for Lydia and pictures for her in it. They said they were going to miss her while she is at extended day. They play a lot in the afternoons and won't be able to now so easily. Lydia was very happy and said it was her favorite purse! She immediately went to find special things to put inside it.
Sunday even before church Lydia was saying she didn't want to be gone all day. That night I put sponge curlers in her hair--that was the cure. She was extremely happy and excited to go to school with all those curls!

The day went ok. 12:00 came around and I was thinking about her and how she would usually be home at that time and I would have lunch ready for her. She is always happy to see me and give each other a big hug. Not today. I kept myself busy to not think about it.
She came home at 4:00 and was grumpy. I sighed and was afraid it was going to be this way everyday. She didn't want to talk about her day. She rushed off to practice the piano (after her first lesson she has practiced every single day without me asking her!) Meanwhile I talk to Andrea and prepare a snack.......

The next day went about the same. Not so grumpy this time. She told a little bit about the day but not much. She is asking when I'm going to pick her up early. I told her that sometimes I will pick her up and we will skip the afternoon class and go to McDonald's. She is really looking forward to it. Over all she likes her teacher and the kids in her extended day class. I think she is very happy at school and likes it. She comes home very tired.

For me I think being a mom is amazing. The children grow through different stages very fast. Its sad knowing when they grow through a stage its gone forever. But its joyful while they are in each stage and watching them learn knew things. Some stages are more joyful than others. Some stages I'm glad to be over......but there is something about even the hardest stages I enjoy.

I wish I could be the perfect mom. The last few nights I've felt no patience. I heard my daughters fighting in bed and felt like its my fault. It makes me sad especially because that's what I fasted for on Sunday. More patience. Its not a magical thing that just comes. I think I have to work harder to have patience. Not necessarily hard work. But what I mean is pay attention and make having patience more of a priority. Take time to relax, breath, pray, evaluate and ponder on how I'm doing with the day and life stresses. Its so hard to know during the day what are the most important things to spend energy on and what is not important. So at one point around 6:30pm before I felt like I was going to explode, I went in my room and shut the door. I put a couple drops of an essential oil that my cousin gave me on my upper chest and laid on the bed and just took some deep breaths. I tried to relax and calm down and let my frustrations go out of me while I exhaled. I think it helped. I'm going to try it before my girls come home off the bus. That way I'll be calm and ready for them.

This morning my goal is to make my two week meal plan. Take my babes and get the groceries. The hardest part is the planning and shopping....after that the next two weeks will be smooth sailing with stress-free meal preparations!!






Lydia my doll is truly one of my favorite people!! Words can't express my adoration for her!!