Thursday, September 10, 2009

Inner Child

Dear Julie,
I thought I told you for years and years while you were growing up that when your children started school that you would #1 Wake up early and get ready, #2 Fix them a hot breakfast every morning.
The first day of school for your daughter you did each of those things. The second day you made pancakes but did not get ready. The third day your daughter ate cold cereal and you did not get ready in time for the bus. What happened?
Love,
Little Julie

Dear Little Julie,
Ive been meaning to talk to you. I’m thinking that the expectations you had of me as a mother may be a little unrealistic. I understand that it is important to you that I become the perfect mom you wanted. I’m pretty new at this and I’m too human to be perfect. I’m hoping that we can work out some kind of compromise. I will be thinking about what that may include and get back to you. Your daughter will not go to school hungry. And she is not waking you up to get her to the bus like you had to do growing up.
Love,
Julie